I am on a roll. This week I weeded out time-wasting activities such as Twitter and Jaiku. I closed my account at Linked In, stopped responding to stupid emails, and deleted 75% of my RSS feeds. To get organized and save even more time, I decided to try Backpack, an online application from the amazing folks at 37 Signals, creators of Basecamp (project management and collaboration), Highrise (simple CRM) and CampFire (group chat). There’s a free and paid version. The free version does not include the Calendar and limits the number of pages you can create.
Here is how I use Backpack:
- Created FAQ for journalists who call me and ask the same questions about municipal wireless networks
- Make daily list of things to do
- Created trip planning page for upcoming trips with links to airline ticket, hotel reservation numbers, maps, interesting places to visit, restaurants to try
- Canned email responses I can just cut and paste into a response
- use Calendar to send me SMS alert before appointments
There are many more uses I will find for it, but I just started today and already I feel very organized and calm.
If you want to try it, please click on this link .