This is one of my favorite soups in the world. It’s the easiest to make and very inexpensive. There are 3 basic ingredients: leeks, potatoes and broth (chicken or vegetable).
Leek and Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 6 medium sized leeks or 3 very large leeks (use the light green to white parts only), chopped in rings
- 2 large potatoes or 3 medium sized potatoes, chopped into small cubes
- 7 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup milk or light cream (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
(1) Chop the leeks in small thin round circles from the bottom to the light green part. Discard the tops. Set aside.
(2) Chop the potatoes in small cubes. Set aside.
(3) Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large soup pan. Toss in the chopped leeks and let them cook for 20 minutes under medium-low heat.
(4) Toss in the chopped potatoes and stir well.
(5) Add 7 cups of broth (chicken or vegetable), bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
(6) After 30 minutes, check to see if the potatoes are very soft. If they are, start mashing them either with a fork or a potato masher. This will make the soup more creamy.
(7) You can add 1/4 cup of milk or light cream to the soup to make it more creamy, but it’s actually not necessary. Add salt and pepper to taste. I like this soup with lots of freshly ground black pepper.